Steps to setup a Python Data Science environment | Install Python for Data Science
To create and run the sample code or example code, we need an Python Data Science Setup environment which will have both special packages as well as general purpose python required for Data Science. Check the step by step installation process of Python Data Science whether it can be either of python 2 or 3. Know the Python installation process in the below sections.
Python Data Science Setup
The distribution of the Python is available for a wide range of variety of platforms. To install the Python language, you need to download the binary code that is applicable to your platform. In case, if the binary code is not available, you must have a C compiler to compile source code manually. You can get more flexibility in terms of the choice of features that are required in your installation process. The installation of Python on various platforms are as follows.
Data Science Environment Setup for Python, R, Git, Unix Shell
After the completion of the interactive training and education platforms like DataCamp, the next step to do is to Python Data Science setup for Python, R, Git, Unix Shell etc. This guide will help you to know the packages, softwares that you need to install to start the various technologies. These are:
Anaconda uses nearly all the tools that we are need of the little package. The core language of Python, Jupyter which is improved REPL environment, plottiing libraries like seaborn, matplotlib, various computing libraries like Pandas, NumPy, machine learning libraries and statistics like Statsmodels, Scikit-learn, Scipy. In order to keep the download small, the minimum set of packages called Miniconda are used.
Installer Packages of Miniconda
- Mac OSX
After the completion of the download process, you can follow all the instructions provided below on your OS.
Important Note: It is easy to use Anaconda’s defaults in your installer. You need not change any settings unless you need something different.
2. R Programming Language
Most of the people generally install RStudio along with the R programming language. The RStudio IDE is basically considered as the best and easiest way to work with R programming language. If you install R programming language, you can get a set of functions and objects from both R language and interpreter which allows you to run and build commands.
The language GIT is the widely used control version system which records changes of a file or set of files over a specific time so that you can easily recall the specific versions later. Git is really interesting technology which helps you to work with others and also can find a lot of workplaces. Some of the uses are as follows.
- The version using by GIT is never lost, hence you can go back and see the older versions of your programs.
- It is harder to overwrite work whenever GIT notifies the work conflicts.
- GIT can harmonise the work done by different people on various machines and scales the work easily.
Python for Data Science Common Packages
Download the file which contains list of common libraries and packages for doing data science in Python. After the completion of the download, remember the location of the saved file. Because it helps you in creating the path. After the completion of the download, open the command line and follow the below instructions.
- OSX – Type cmd+Space and enter Terminal in the search option to open the terminal.
- Windows – Tap “Start” and type “Command Prompt” and use the loaded terminal.
The comments given below are to be run, which helps in installing the package.
- conda env create – f <PATH_TO_ENVIRONMENT.YML> – You have to replace the <PATH_TO_ENVIRONMENT.YML> with the desired and the actual path where the file was saved. For Windows, it is C:/Users/<Username(username on your machine)>/Downloads/environment.yml). For OSX, it is (/Users/Username(username of your machine)>/Downloads/environment.yml).
Here are few steps to be followed to install Python on Windows.
- First of all, open the browser and search for https://www.python.org/downloads/
- Follow the link provided for the windows installer Python-ABC.msi where ABC is the version that you need to install.
- The windows system must support Microsoft Installer 2.0 for the installation of Python-ABC.msi. To confirm the support of Microsoft Installer 2.0, you have to save the file in the local machine and run it to find out if your machine supports msi file or not.
- Run the downloaded file which brings up the Python language install wizard which will be easy to use. Accept all the default settings and wait until the installation is finished.
Installation of Unix and Linux
The simple steps for Python Data Science Setup on Unix/Linux machine are as follows.
- Firstly, open the browser and visit to https://www.python.org/downloads/
- Zipped source code will be available for Linux/Unix if you follow the link.
- Download the zip file and extract files.
- If you want to customize any of the options, then edit the setup/modules.
- Configure/Run Script.
- Thus, the Python Data Science Installation process will be done perfectly and completely.
- The Python installs at location/usr/local/bin and the libraries of the Python are installed at /usr/local/lib/PythonYY where YY is the version of the Python.
The most recent macs comes with the python installed, but it may be various years out of date.
To know all the instructions on the current version along with the extra tools that support for the development on the Mac check http://www.python.org/download/mac/. Before Mac OS X 10.3, the older Mac OS’s, MacPython existed.
Python for Data Science Setup Path
Programs and other executable program files are available in many directories. The operating systems provides the search path that lists the directories that the operating system searches for executable.
The storage part of Python Data Science setup in an environment variable, which is named string maintained by the OS. This Python variables contains more information available to the command shell and the other programs. The variables of path is named as PATH in Windows or Path in UNIX.
In MAC Operating System, the installer handles path details. To call the Python interpreter from the directory, you must add the directory of Python to your path.
Setting path at Linux/Unix
To add Python directory to path for a detail session in Unix
- In the sh or ksh shell – type PATH=”$PATH:/usr/local/bin/python” and then press Enter.
- In the bash shell (Linux) – type export ATH=”$PATH:/usr/local/bin/python” and then press Enter.
- In the csh shell – type setenv PATH”$PATH:/usr/local/bin/python” and then press Enter.
- Note – /usr/local/bin/python is the path of the Python directory
Setting path at Windows
To add Python directory to the path for a detailed session in Windows:
At command prompt – type path %path%;C:\Python an then press Enter.
Note: C:\Python is the Python directory path.
In the above mentioned article, we have given the complete process of installation of Python Data Science. If you have any further doubts regarding Python Data Science Setup you can approach us. The download procedure of Python Data Science Environment Setup for Python, R, GIT are given in detail. Moreover, for the complete course regarding the python data science know the best Python Online Training in India from this page.